Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's Hammock Time

Apparently, Tobi’s previous house sitters ruined his prized Mexican hammock. He asked if we could bring a replacement, for which he would reimburse us, as these are much more easily acquired in North American than in Fiji or New Zealand. So we purchased one straight from the Yucatan and stuffed it into our suitcase, and are now very much enjoying this iconic furniture of the tropics. Neither of us has much experience with hammocks and it is quite comical to see the complete lack of grace with which we attempt to enter and exit, or our undignified struggle to find a comfortable position when we are laying in it together (it is a BIG hammock).

If I were a better boy scout we might have avoided the incident on the second day when our leisure was rudely interrupted when one end gave way and we went crashing to the deck below. Fortunately it was a fall of only about 18” so Deborah will not be suing me. I’d like to blame the rope rather than my knot but I know better. I think I have it secured now, but I might get a second set of ropes to tie on as a sort of safety line just in case.

Deborah is actually taking apart Tobi’s broken hammock and attempting to fix it. It looks like a chaotic tangle of strings to me, but she seems to know what she is doing. If she is successful and we get a second hammock up and running we will never get anything done. Already Deborah says we spend half our time in the hammock and the other half trying to get out of it. I think she is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment