Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bananas

I don’t know if was the bananas or one of the other substances Deborah force fed me yesterday but I feel normal again. Speaking of bananas, we had Semoko harvest the plant in our yard a couple of days ago. Some of the bananas were turning yellow so it was time. I didn’t know this but once you harvest the bananas, the plant dies. If you don’t harvest, it dies anyway. Sometimes it just falls over from the weight of the bunch. (Not a very smart plant if you ask me). I always assumed the same plant kept producing fruit but apparently that is not the case. They just reseed themselves and new plants pop up elsewhere. We have a couple others going on in the yard now.

Semoko had brought us a few bananas from one of his plants so we let him take the whole bunch from our tree, which we could never eat – especially now that I’m well again and don’t have to take such fruity medicine. I have to say though that Deborah makes a pretty good smoothie, even when she slips a banana into the mix.



Semoko with freshly harvested bananas
(photo by Deborah)

No comments:

Post a Comment