Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sick Again

Just as I get over my head cold, give it to Deborah, she gets over it, along with her bladder infection and indigestion/lump-in-throat issues, I get sick again. At first I thought it was just an overdose of Fijian bread (which at first I quite liked but now will probably never eat again), which sat like a giant mango pit in my stomach. Then came more symptoms – though none particularly severe – which suggested something other than overeating strange indigenous cuisine was involved. I will spare you the gruesome details but suffice it to say that I am normally a very “regular” guy yet this malady was wrenching my bowels to alternate extremes of dysfunction.

Today nurse Deborah has taken control of my diet and force fed me bananas, which I do not at all care for (even Fijian ones), and plain rice, which actually tasted good despite the complete lack of condiments or sauces. She also went to town in search of Gatorade or some similar electrolyte replacement drink. The grocery store had no such thing, but suggested she pay a visit to the good Dr. Joeli. He was able to fix her up with some powdered drink mix which fortunately does what Gatorade does but unfortunately tastes much worse. He also offered some charcoal tablets, also to mix with water. I think that is the first time I ever drank anything black.

And now a random photo from Savusavu:


Fijian phone booth
(design courtesy of the Klingon Empire)

No comments:

Post a Comment